Category: Trades / Transportation
Description: Role: Within a terminal, Equipment Operators are responsible for operating machinery in order to move containers from one designated area to another, for loading or unloading them on to rail cars, all the while using CN-approved operating equipment (i.e. lift) and following safety procedures.
Critical performance areas include:
· Setting up rail cars, assisting heavy equipment operators in loading/unloading containers and emptying chassis/trailers to and from rail cars.
· Loading reefers from carters.
· Connecting and disconnecting gensets (portable fossil-fuel powered generators).
· Driving pick-up and hitch trucks, operating yard tractors, forklifts and small cranes.
· Performing various tasks to ensure proper placement and set-up of containers and train cars.
· Interpreting and completing paperwork associated with the loading/unloading of railcars and trailers.
· Available to work on an on-call basis, 24 hours a day with a maximum of 2 hours notice.
· Ability to work regular shifts, including nights, weekends, holidays, and occasional overtime.
· Ability to work outdoors in varying weather and environmental conditions, with heavy equipment, and exposure to dust, pollen, noise and vibrations.
· Proficiency with shovels, rod/pry bars, sledgehammers, jackhammers, wrenches, hand/power drills, hand tools and technical instruments (meters), etc. (If experienced, use heavy equipment such as backhoe, trencher, and directional barring machine).
· Perform duties of an Intermodal Helper (signalman), Equipment Operator and Heavy Equipment Operator)
· This job is considered safety sensitive so you need to have a drug test
· High school diploma or equivalent General Education Diploma (GED).
· Valid driver’s license.
· Lift-truck operator certification.
· Proficiency in the operation of lift-truck, up to 21,000 pounds (10,000 kg) capacity.
· Class 1 driver’s license, an asset.
· Good hand-eye coordination.
· Frequent bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling, performing overhead work, lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds (22 kg) and occasionally up to 70 pounds (32 kg). · Frequent climbing/balancing, grasping and working at heights of 4-8 feet (1-2 meters) off the ground and elevations.
The work location:
Work within a specific yard.
The ideal candidate profile:
· Ability to work autonomously and adapt to different situations.
· Demonstrate good teamwork and maintain positive interactions with others.
· Good verbal, reading comprehension and writing skills.
· Constantly alert and always prepared for unusual conditions or circumstances.
· Conform to safety procedures and maintain a high level of safety awareness in the work environment.
· Dedicated to getting the job done while meeting established standards of quality, safety and client satisfaction.
· Basic computer skills.
CN is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email. City Prince George
Province/State British Columbia
10-030 CA_Labourer/Equipment Operator/HEO – Intermodal Yard
Removal Date 04-Oct-2017
Company Name: CN Rail